Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dear Andy Stanley...

Dear Andy Stanley,

I want to thank you for writing such a great book that details a simple principle that I have always known but have never fully grasped. Your book, The Principle of the Path, was a Christmas present from my in-laws, and I finally got the chance to read it during a vacation to Puerto Rico. Andy, this book is great, and I am going to do my best to hold on to the following scripturally-based points of your book as I progress through this life journey God has granted me.

Andy, your prayer based on Proverbs 27:12, which states, "Lord, help us to see trouble coming long before it gets here. And give us the wisdom to know what to do and the courage to do it," is going to be a part of mine and my wife's daily prayers. God has given us a brain to detect danger, but too often, I like to "flirt" with that danger. I struggle with taking "refuge." Instead, I plow forward and "suffer." Now, I have this prayer in my "tool box," and I know God will grant both my wife and I wisdom if we simply ask.

Secondly, the questions you provided for decision making are very helpful. These questions, listed below, cause me to truly reflect on the decisions I am making.

1. Why am I doing this, really?

2. If someone in my circumstances came to me for advice, what course of action would I recommend?

3. In light of my past experience, future hopes, and my dreams, what is the wise thing to do?

You are correct that truthfully answering these questions will force me not to allow my heart, which the Bible states is deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9), to factor into my decision. My answers to these questions will allow me to make a decision which will result in circumstances that are best for me.

Finally, Andy, I thank you for detailing an Old Testament story that I was not too familiar with. Your account of David as he left Jerusalem after Absalom's reign began was insightful and a reminder to me that God cannot be manipulated, and I must submit to whatever future God holds for me. Thank you for pointing me to the verses in 2 Samuel which say, "Then the king (David) said to Zadok, 'Take the ark of God back into the city. If I find favor in the Lord's eyes, he will bring me back and let me see it and his dwelling place again. But if he says, "I am not pleased with you," then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him'" (v. 15:25-26). David's humble submission to God's sovereign plan was inspiring, and a great pre-cursor to the ultimate example of submission exemplified by Jesus Christ, when he states, "Yet not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42).

Andy, thanks again for offering this great principle. I hope others will adhere to these practical thoughts as they pursue a God-honoring walk in this world.

Stuart Saulters

No comments:

Post a Comment